Currently working on a simple form that emails to a nominated email address which uses Classic ASP and VbScript. I normally use JMail or similar components installed on IIS depending on what the hosting service has available.
In this case I am using CDO.sys which is native to IIS to achieve the same result.
So having gathered some useful CDO.sys resources and samples, I thought I’d share them via my blog.
Resources and example code
- A good article that gives code samples for three approaches – using a local pickup directory, port forwarding and using a remote mail server – read at PowerASP
- A simple overview with sample code being built up by Chris Hardy
- Basic code samples at W3Schools
- How do I send e-mail with CDO? which gives an example using the use the named CDO constants.
- Technical Overview at MSDN, although I found this search at MSDN more useful.
What is really lacking here is a comprehensive reference which clarifies what all the key named CDO constants.
- Sending SMTP Mail by Port 25 – clear code sample, but not much explanation
- Sending SMTP Mail by the Pickup Directory – another code sample to study, not much explanation, but as with all Microsoft code samples, when you reach the correct plane of enlightenment all will be clear. So, after me, breath deeply and “Ohhmmmm…”
- The ‘SendUsing’ configuration value is invalid
- Why does CDO.Message give me 8004020F errors?
- Working on finding a good resource on “80040213” errors – will update this post when I find one.